Monday, December 10, 2012

New Tires

When I have to replace the tires on my car, it always occurs sometime between my birthday and Christmas. This year was no different and as I sat in the waiting area this afternoon I remembered a Christmas Miracle. Maybe 15 years ago, when I was making pitiful money and managing it poorly, I found myself up against Christmas break with bald tires and no money to replace them. I was going to miss Christmas with my family for the first time in my life and, I confess, I was bummed.
A few days before Christmas, after Provo had emptied of my friends and family, I received a call from a tire shop in town. The man on the phone told me that tires for my car had been purchased, and that he needed to schedule an install appointment. An anonymous donor had made arrangements for me to get the tires I needed and with enough time to drive to Denver to make it home in time for the holidays. It was incredibly humbling. The shop owner refused to reveal the name of my Santa Claus, and all I could do was sit in the waiting room and write a Thank You note and hope it was sincere enough.
The past two years have been tight, but I have been blessed again to have enough to take care of the necessities. I look forward to being well soon and paying things forward.

3 comments:

Kelsey Eaton said...

What a sweet story! There are so many good, good people in the world! :)

Rita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rita said...

That was one amazing gift that you received for Christmas. You must be very thankful to that anonymous Santa Claus. It could have been a sad Christmas for you if it weren't for the anonymous Santa who gave you the new tires. I hope this tire issue will not happen to you again. And to avoid that, you must take your car to the shop for regular inspections to see if it needs any repair or maintenance. Do this before the holidays or your birthday, so you could have a special, hassle-free day. @ Evans Tire & Service Centers